West Yellowstone Weather and Roads (Sept. 28-Oct. 2, 2015):
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 68F. Low 29F.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70F. Low 30F.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70F. Low 35F.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 61F. Low 34F. Chance of afternoon showers.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54F. Low 32F. Chance of showers.
Fire activity in Yellowstone National Park has been greatly reduced due to wet, cooler weather. For current conditions: http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/currentfireactivity.htm
For current air quality conditions and wildfire smoke updates click here.
Current Road Status:
- All roads and entrances are open for the season. Temporary closures and delays can happen at any time.
- Check Montana travel conditions (1-800-226-7623) and Wyoming travel conditions (1-888-996-7623) before traveling.
- October 5: Beartooth Pass closes
- October 13: Dunraven Pass closes
- November 2: All roads except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast entrance close at 8:00 am
2015-2016 Winter OverSnow Opening Dates
- December 15: Conditions permitting, the park will open at 8 am to oversnow vehicles from Mammoth to Madison; Madison to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; from Old Faithful to West Thumb; from South to Lake Butte Overlook, and from Canyon to Norris.
- December 22: Conditions permitting, East Entrance Road (from East to Lake Butte) will open at 8 am.
North Entrance at Gardiner MT: Excavation continues along the entrance road through Gardiner. Businesses are open. Traffic is being diverted to new alignments. Visitors are still able to stop at Roosevelt Arch using the flagger escort.
- Norris to Mammoth (Norris to Golden Gate): Expect traffic delays of up to 30 minutes. Loose gravel--motorcyclists use EXTREME caution!
- Call 307-344-2117 for road updates. Call 511 from your cell phone to check on the status of other roads outside the park.
Grand Teton National Park ROADS:
The Teton Park Road from Taggart Lake Trailhead to the Signal Mountain Lodge and the Moose-Wilson Road from the Death Canyon Trailhead to the Granite Canyon Trailhead are closed to motorized vehicles from November 1st through April 30th. The Antelope Flats Road and Signal Mountain Summit Road are also closed during this period. Check at visitor centers for additional closures. Most roads open to motorized travel May 1.
For road construction map click here.
Outside of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks:
Hwy 191 S. from Bozeman to Big Sky: NorthWestern Energy is upgrading the transmission line that runs from Four Corners, west of Bozeman, to the Meadow Village area of Big Sky. Work again will focus on the Gallatin Canyon area, from Hellroaring to the
southern side of Deer Creek. Motorists should be prepared for delays in the canyon due to the project. Helicopters will be in use at times for timber clearing and line construction. Crews will install large steel poles using a large helicopter, and will be stringing wire between Hellroaring and Karst, from June until August. Crews will also do pole excavation installation and wire work from Karst to Deer Creek from June until November. Motorists should watch for detours, lane closures and reduced speed limits. Please be on the alert for work crews.
Recreationists should be aware that there could be temporary Forest Service road and trail closures, along with temporary river closures, in the canyon. The closures, expected to be short term, are primarily for safety reasons.
Idaho US Hwy 20 I-15 Work on the shoulder. Between Exit 167: ID 22 ( 1 mile north of the Dubois Area) and exit
180 : Spenser Road ( 3 miles south of the Spencer area). There is work on the shoulder. Comment: Crews installing
signs on shoulder. Use Caution.
Hwy 20 Idaho Falls to Montana: Between North River Road and Wood Road (4 to 7 miles east of the Ashton
area). Road construction work is in progress. The roadway is reduced to one lane. Expect delays. Speed restrictions
are in force. There is a width limit in eect. Look out for aggers. Expect 30 - minute delays. Speed limit 45 MPH.
Width limit 11'0".